Cleaning/Purging/Organizing/Packing

so goes the process of moving... amazing how much junk one can acquire during their american life. throughout my adult life, i've moved about every 4 years, sometimes sooner. and i've tried to be pro-active in keeping my personal belongings to a minimum because i've always known that i would be moving to africa. everything i own fits into my bedroom, and it's not cram full of useless junk. with that being said, i still have a ton of junk! most of you know that i'm reader - if i'm sitting down, i probably have a book in my hand. so books make up a big part of what i've been purging/sorting. earlier today i called kimberly and asked her, 'what does one do with 9 Bibles?' (NIV Student Bible, NIV Study Bible, The Spiritual Formation Bible, NT Message, OT + NT Message, NIV Holy Bible, Thompson Chain Reference Bible, The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible, and the One Year Bible.) the NIV Student Bible is the one i had when i was in middle and part of high school. it has marks and tears and water stains (from being drenched during a flood at Sonshine Music Festival!) The Holy Bible was a gift from my parents when i was in high school - the table of contents has been ripped out of it.) this is the most plain and simplest Bible i have, but i love it. The NT Message Bible was a gift from Denise, just a few weeks before i moved to Georgia. The NIV Study Bible is a compact Bible with a leather cover. I've used this Bible the least out of all of the ones i own. i've had the One Year Bible for a long time, but haven't ever used it throughout an entire year. The OT + NT Message Bible is a great resource, and i use it periodically when i'm in need of another translation. My Thompson Chain Reference was a gift from Denise and is the one i'm currently using the most. and the two spiritual formation Bibles are used through different times. so i'm about to get rid of several of them and these are the ones that have gotten the boot: The Renovare Formation Bible, the Student Bible (i might chuck it in the trash!), the One Year Bible, and NIV Study Bible. i can't imagine the maasai will be too upset w/ me tossing these Bible, since they don't even have one translated into their own language.

throughout the purge i ran across one of my old year books. it's from 1994, the year before i graduated high school. these are a couple of the quotes written by friends, "Good luck in all you do - I hope you don't get too hot in Africa!' and 'I'll never forget you, and please remember I'm here for you even when you're in Zimbabwe!' i can't help but smile when i look back and see how far God has matured me since those days.

then i came across this prayer from january, 7, 2006 from my prayer journal - a little over a year ago. 'God, i want to intercede for my missionary friends working at YWAM - Kilimanjaro. You know their greatest need. Father, i pray over the spiritual bondange of the natives who have never heard Your message. by Your grace, i pray for those chains to be broken. Send Your warrior angels to lay seige on the demons attempting to keep those people in darkness. You are so worthy to receive their praise. Let them sing joyous songs of wonder to Your glorious name. Let them break out in dance for the salvation which has come upon them. Place Your new song in their hearts. i give You the praise and thanks right now for opening this village to see You clearly. This is the time of Jubilee; this is the time to fall into Your grace.'

again i say 'Amina'

1 comment:

Shari said...

I am taking a moment to be selfish and tell you that I'm really having a hard time with you leaving. I wouldn't have it any other way- but you're precious to me and a major part of my orbit. It'll be a big adjustment without you around these parts...

...but I can't wait to see what that means for me and for you.

I love you T!