My First Church Service

my first real african church service was wonderful. the congregation was very welcoming. all the children were very curious about me, a white person (mzungu). the kids kept touching me and trying to get my attention through the entire service.

there was on little boy, i would guess he was about 4 years old, with a t-shirt which had the logo, 'US ARMY'. there was also an older teenage boy with a fatigue US Army shirt. Tanzanians think that the US has the greatest army in the all the world. many of these young people would love to be involved in the US Army. that seems so strange to me, but for them it would be a high honor.

this breaks my heart. i'm reminded of the children that are forced to become soldiers. they are fearless, willing to do anything they are told. like these little kids this morning at church - they were so curious that they had to touch me. they were not afraid of the consequence; they simply were curious to know how i would react and why my skin is a different color.

sunday afternoon's are similar to those in american. exiit from church, get some lunch, then take a nap. it's super hot here today. we all sweated throughout our entire naps. the internet says the it's about 95 degrees with the sun blazing from a clear sky.

Today's Challenge: take a luke warm shower, and pray for those who will never experience a hot shower. thank God that you've been blessed with hot water!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We prayed for you today in SS. The heat sounds miserable BUT I know you love it! Saw the eclipse last night. I love how the whole world can see it. Miss you.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hey Tanya,
Thanks for keeping us posted. It feels like we can sort of share in your daily life, and it sounds so different from ours that it's very interesting. I'm glad that you are becoming adjusted. Our thoughts and prayers are with you daily. We are missing you at DHR!
Love ya,
Patsy