Multiplication

i.m reminded of a time when i was learning how to multilply. most days i would get off the bus about 4.20p and start my homework. my parents both worked late, so i would be home alone with my brother until the time one of my parents got home. let's just say that my brother was not good at helping with my homework. i was really struggling to figure out how to multiply and just couldn.t get it. i was in tears when my dad finally arrived at 5.20. after some consoling, i remember him saying, 'tan, you will understand how to multiply, probably better than i know how. you are very smart and you will get this. it just may take a little time.' then he sat down with me and we figured it out.

even as kid, i had a hard time asking for help. i would need to be in tears before i would break down and ask someone to help me. but when i needed help, someone always was there for me. so thanks, dad, for your encouragement. that day i began to learn how to multiply; now look at me: i work in an accounting department.

(and i won't forget the day my dad came home from pamida with my skateboard! my mom nearly lost her cool, but i loved that skateboard!)

but that was the beginning of a long process of learning multiplication. Jesus when talking about seed and different types of soil, home the lesson when he said, 'It (the seed in the fertile soil) came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times.' [Mark 4.8] before i went to africa i sent out some letters, begging for support. most of you know about those letters because the people who read this blog are the ones who received those letters. it.s the dreaded, 'please-send-money-and-pray-for-me' letter. i discreetly put that first support letter in disguise - it was included in my Christmas letter. (watch out for this year's letter!) you and the good Lord came thru for me and everything i needed was taken care of. i was blessed with enough financial support to give generously to many africans who were in need. giving bibles to the kids in the youth group was pretty sweet. that.s just some examples of those seeds were being multiplied.

again this week i.ve experienced some seeds that were multiplied literally ten times. sacrificial giving... having something i need - then being prompted to give it away - going thru the struggle of not wanting to give it away - finally putting what i have in the offering plate - trusting God to really supply what i need - then being given more than i gave away. the Lord is gracious even until me.

so, Dad, i am still learning my lesson.

No comments: