commentary

lectio divina

for a couple of years now i've gotten into lectio divina. it's a method of reading the scriptures which involves prayer, meditation, and listening. my translation is: RMPL or the rumple method
RMPL = Read, Meditate (which means brainstorm to me), Pray (ask questions), Listen (be still long enough to hear from God)

it works for me because it allows my mind to wander/brainstorm, to ask questions, and to expect God to speak to me. it takes time and effort, but way worth it in the end.

let's take a little journey thru Psalm 55

1 Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea;
[In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. ps. 5.3]
[This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name... matt. 6.9-15]
*there's a bird sitting outside my window who keeps staring at me.
Father, please listen to what i have to say; i'm desperate.

2 hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught
[Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. phil. 4.8]
[...and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 cor 10.5b]
[After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me." john 13.21]
[And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. luke 22.44]
*'distraught' is only written once in the NIV translation of the bible
*websters dictionary has 2 definitions for 'distraught':
1 : agitated with doubt or mental conflict or pain
2 : mentally deranged : crazed

Jesus, i'm asking you to listen because i'm distraught.

3 at the voice of the enemy, at the stares of the wicked; for they bring down suffering upon me and revile me in their anger.
*i don't have many physical enemies, but spiritually there are demons who wish nothing more than to destroy me. when reading scripture, if i insert 'demons' for 'enemies', the word of God come alive.
*all weekend i could feel satan breathing down my neck - reviling me with his anger, short-tempters, insubordination, unwillingness, discord, distrust, etc.

4 My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me.
*this weekend i was too mad to cry.
*two weeks until april fool's day.

5 Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.
*i know these feelings.

6 I said, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest-
*there were several times this weekend i wanted to just hide myself and never come out.
God, I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. ps 61.4

7 I would flee far away and stay in the desert;

8 I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm."
[The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" matt. 8.27]
[Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm: "Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. job 40.6-7]
*i've married into a wonderful family. just got a call and an email from both brothers-in-law.

9 Confuse the wicked, O Lord, confound their speech, for I see violence and strife in the city.
[Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. ps 119.18]
[That is why it was called Babel —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth. gen 11.9]
[It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel. prov. 20.3]

10 Day and night they prowl about on its walls; malice and abuse are within it.
[I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. ps. 6.6]
[One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. luke 6.12]
I pray against malice and abuse in our home and family.

11 Destructive forces are at work in the city; threats and lies never leave its streets.
[For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. eph 6.12-13]
Father, i pray for your forces to be at work in our home and in our marriage.

12 If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him.

13 But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend,
[A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. prov. 17.17]
[He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends. prov. 17.7]
[Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. prov. 27.6]

14 with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God.

15 Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the grave, for evil finds lodging among them.
[Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. rom. 12.9]

16 But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
[And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved. joel 2.32]

17 Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.

18 He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me.
[For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. mark 10.45]

19 God, who is enthroned forever, will hear them and afflict them men who never change their ways and have no fear of God.

20 My companion attacks his friends; he violates his covenant.

21 His speech is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords.

22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
[Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 pet. 5.7]
[Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? matt. 6.27]
Help me to let go of these worries and cares. i surrender them to You.

23 But you, O God, will bring down the wicked into the pit of corruption; bloodthirsty and deceitful men will not live out half their days. But as for me, I trust in you.
[Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. prov. 3.5-6]

No comments: