Daily Challenge #29

Truth Versus Lies

I wanted to have this daily challenge be about exercising, and getting your life together, but.. I can't get out of my head this idea of truth versus lies. So how about we go with a little of both.

Exercise:
Do some stretching - even if that means yawning with your arms stretched out over your head. 
Stand up and bend at your waist - trying to touch your feet with your hands.
Balance on one leg for as long as you can stand. Switch legs and see how long you can balance on the other leg.
Stand up straight, stretch your arms straight out in front of you. Bend your knees and then stand back up. 

How does it feel? Can you feel your muscles stretching?

Ok, now onto lies versus truth.

Our past shapes who we are. I think everyone knows that to some extent. And we all to some extent believe that we are what we think. But the questions I'm wrestling with are "Can we control all our thoughts?" and "Why are some thoughts so hard to dislodge?"

Some of the lies which have sunk their evil talons into me are:
I'm not a good mom
We won't have enough money to cover the Nicaragua trip.
I'm not a good wife
Our kids will fail because I have failed
Troy will leave eventually and I'll be left with 3 kids
We won't have enough money to cover all our bills
I realize these are all LIES. They are not the truth. I fight these thoughts/feelings often. 

These are some truths which I cling to:
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. (Deut. 31.6)
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29.13)
Grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. (John 1:17)
Come near to God and he will come near to you. (James 4.8)
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. (Prov. 16.3)

So the second half of today's challenge is to name and write down what lies bounce around in your head. We all have lies which tempt us away from the truth. These lies will keep you for living life to the full. They will keep you from taking risks, growing in intimacy with your spouse, doing what God has called you do, etc.

Let the word of God dwell in you richly. (Col. 3.16)

As always, if you want to be deleted from these daily challenge emails, please respond to this email by writing: "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.

No comments: