Changes

God is training me.

It hurts.
It is long time coming.
It is hard to grasp.
It is not impossible.

For the 2 people who read this blog, be ready for some ranting/raving and some honest truth to come from this post.

Normally I don't say anything when I'm fasting, but here we go. During this season of lent, I'm giving my best attempt at a Daniel Fast. Here's a link to what it's all about. Basically you can't eat meat, bread or anything with added sugar. So what's left: fruits and veggies with a side of water.

The first couple of days I was starving, but today I think my body is adjusting to it's new food groups. Even with the lack of sleep from this last weekend, my body is feeling really great. Troy told me that I would start to feel better, but i honestly did not believe him. I'll  eat some crow on that one, (but since that would be 'meat' I'll have to wait until this fast is over. wink wink)

So with all that being said, this is what I'm learning.

1.) I can't change people.
If I'm offended by something that Troy does, my reaction will not change him in the ways I want him to change. If I give him a cold shoulder or the silent treatment, it won't do any good. My feelings/reactions won't change his behavior. They may actually to do harm, which is the opposite of what I want. This goes against all that I am as a fleshly human. It gives new meaning to those verses in Matthew where he talks about praying for your enemies. 

Matthew 5: 44-48 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

2.) God can change people.
When offended, I need to climb up into my prayer closet and pour out my heart. It's okay if I let Troy know in a loving and respectful manner that my feeling were hurt, but I don't need to go on and on about it. Troy is very perceptive, and he picks up on feelings. This is key: by telling Troy how I feel, it doesn't mean that he will change. It's not up to me to change him. That's God's job, not mine. My attention needs to be on Christ, not on behavior of Troy. (This is what I'm learning.. and it's HARD!)

Another lesson, I don't need to sit and stew about it. Before I feel my blood start boiling, I need to set my mind on Christ - that He came to heal the sick and hurting. I need to keep in mind that usually people behave in an unpleasant manner because they are sick, or hurting, or they have believed a lie. It's my responsibility to pray - to intercede on their behalf. They need a Healer, and I know a good One. Sometimes the Healer expects me to use what He has taught me to help others. Sometimes people need to see the Doctor on their own. Normally people need a reason to see the Doctor. So as I pray, I tend to ask the Almighty Healer to open the eyes of His patience so they can see and take to heart what sickness is in their lives. Not one of us is 100% well. We all need a good Doctor.

So the two questions for you are:
° What needs to die in you?
° What needs to be birthed in you?

P.S. For the record, I just used Troy as an example. Too often the ones who can get underneath our skin are those who we love the most. Troy and I are doing well.




No comments: