my utmost for his highest

last week i was surfing the net (i know, big surprised, right?) and came across my utmost for his highest. i used to have this book in the bathroom - it's a good three and a half minute reader for the restroom. so i've been reading it online now, first thing when i open my internet. it's a good way to start my day.

there have been quotes from the last two days which are sticking with me.
'If our devotion is to the cause of humanity, we will be quickly defeated and broken-hearted, since we will often be confronted with a great deal of ingratitude from other people. But if we are motivated by our love for God, no amount of ingratitude will be able to hinder us from serving one another.' troy and i are about to embark on a trip to Romania to hang out with the peeps from stepping forward romania. currently they have 65 kids ranging in age from 7-18. so these quotes about our devotion to Christ versus our devotion to humanity are really getting to my soul.

the next quote which caught my attention is this: 'We tend to be devoted, not to Jesus Christ, but to the things which allow us more spiritual freedom than total surrender to Him would allow.' more and more i'm finding myself falling into this trap. i want to please others or my own happiness, instead of giving to others because of my love for Christ. it's easier to take than surrender my desires. being married certainly has a way of making this lesson reality.

No comments: