rememberings

ya'll should read this article about this minnesotan family. now that's a trip to remember. i never made it to iringa where the family has been stayin', but some of my friends sponsor compassion kids from there. the world seems so much smaller after i've been there and experienced life as an african for about 6 months.

here's an example. the other day i was walking out of the grocer and noticed a ink pen laying on the ground. nothing unusual for here in the States, but that's unusual for Tanzania. in Tanzania, anyone who saw that pen would be reaching down and snatching it up. it would've been used for school work. it would have been thought of a true treasure. i would have picked it up if i were in tanzania too, but i'm not there any more, and i walked right by the pen on the ground. yet, the instant i walked by, i realized that i have become american again, and part of me breaks at that thought. i lean down for money of every type, but not a pen. how selfish and ridiculous at the same time.

i miss life in tanzania. i miss flora and her beautiful, sparkly eyes and amazing smile. i miss my friends from class who struggled with english while i struggle with swahili. i miss maggie, the friend who is trying to get enough money to attend school. i sent her a little money this week and i got this text message back from her: 'Hi! I dont know which words i can use to thank u. thank you so much for the money u sent 4 my schoool fees. i pray that God will add the things u have twice.' what an amazing thank you note. when was i last that grateful for money or for something that someone did for me? (well, troy has done some incredibly nice thing for me lately, and my friends threw an amazing shower...)

i remember all that laundry i washed by hand in my bucket while in africa. now i push a couple of buttons, toss in some detergent and that's about it. i miss the interaction with the other ladies who were washing their clothes at the same time. i miss rinsing my clothes under the hydrant, and hanging them on the line. i remember the storm that came thru and knocked down the clothes line - then the guys repaired it. i remember the time i was hanging up my clothes and the green mambo fell from the tree above me. i remember sitting outside near the clothes line using my laptop with skype to call some friends in the States when i was lonely. i remember one specific phone call with denise which still brings me a little mixed happiness/sadness.

my friend, japheth, got married in a church wedding last weekend. i talked to him on friday, and he was a little nervous. he's a great guy, and mirianne from switzerland landed a big fish when she captured his heart. i pray blessings upon their marriage. i remember japheth telling me about his lovely mirianne and how he missed her so much. his heart was set on that girl for many years, and finally they decided to get married. they have a cool story of how they met in england. this world ain't as big as it seems when a kenyan meets a swiss and they fall in love in england.

hey, Troy, sorry that i don't use caps. you're gonna have to get used to it, i'm afraid.

i've fallen into bridezilla mode this week - and i'm chop chopping on these wedding plans. my friends should be proud of how much i've accomplished in the last couple of days. i didn't know that it was in me, but it has risen from the depths. now i know i have a photographer, the invitations are ready, i sent out emails about the georgian reception, my dress has been shipped, and i've spoken with kristi, the wedding planner, from so.dak. so this wedding really is gonna take place, and at the end of the day on may 10th, i'm hoping that i will be wed to mr. troy s. brown. that's my goal, anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Tanya. I heard about your assigned tasks. As a mother, I am proud that you did what needed to be done. I am so happy for you and Troy. Great pics by the way on the party/Ga. reception info. Happiness is all over your faces!
Well, not much longer and you will be Mrs. Troy Brown...God is Good!