Cuttin' It Short

In the wee hours of tuesday morning, i received a call from denise. mental note: it's always sad news when someone starts off the call by saying, 'i'm sorry to call you late, but there's something i have to tell you.' she proceded to let me know that my dad's mom, grandma gartamaker, had passed away. before i came to tanzania, my parents and i discussed what would happen if one of my grandmas passed away while i was here. at the time i told them that i would not return, but...

i spent the night praying and thinking about what i should do since i only have 3 weeks left; if i should try to return to the States early or remain in Tanzania thru the remainder of my school. i came to peace in returning to the States if: my dts leader granted me early release and the cost of changing my ticket would be under $400. those were my 2 requirements for traveling back to the States early.

so yesterday morning my belongings which i had taken on outreach were put back in my bag. after some prayers, tears and good-byes (so hard saying good-bye to my friends whom i've lived with for about 5 months...) i was off to our base, in order to speak with my dts leader. (gemma, my dts leader, is at the base because she gave birth to her son about 2 weeks ago.) she questioned everything about my need/want to return to the States, and then she granted permission, with one requirement: i need to complete 2 weeks dedicated to any type of ministry.

once permission had be granted, it was time to pack my suitcase. when i came to africa, i brought 2 large bags - one was a camping backpack and the other was a suitcase; both bags were complete full. let's just say that the Lord has worked in my life - teaching me so many lessons of giving and generosity, the importance of saying 'some' is enough, and i don't need to have more because i have more than enough. so i'm returning with a small backpack to hold my computer, and the same suitcase, but it's about 3/4 full. one of the guys from my dts wants to become a mountain guide, so he is getting Brock, my beloved camping backpack. (i know the cose of Brock, and it's more than this guy will make in 3 months of work - $70.) and i'm really grateful to be giving it away. that's how i know the lessons have sunk into my heart and soul. it's just stuff anyway - i've never see and hearse pulling a u-haul.

so, continuing with the story... my bags were packed and we headed out to the airport. after telling the ticket agent the reason for my early return, he said they would have a seat for me, but i should just wait a bit. so i trusted him with at his word, and sent my ride away. after about 30 minutes he returned to me and mentioned that others had checked in and i did not have a seat. (just to add to my beautiful adventure!) but he confirmed that i had a seat for the follow day (today!) and it involved the direct flight, instead of an extra stop. since i gave away the cell phone which i had been using when i was here, and wasn't bright enough to obey the Spirit when he prompted me to write down some of the numbers... (i had them stored in Skype on my computer, but i didn't have any access to wireless internet.) so i flagged down a taxi, paid too much, and got a lift back to the base - knowing the God's hand was in it, since he provided permission to return and the cost to change my ticket was $250.

maggie, charnelle, zippora and i had a great night at the base. we drank hot chocolate and enjoyed some other treats. we talked and just hung out. my last night in tanzania.

so on my last day in tanzania i'm sitting here updating my blog. i leave tonight about 8.55. it's now 9.44 am.

i have 2 prayer requests:
1.) i arrive in atlanta on thursday. that's the same day as my grandma's funeral in south dakota, so i'll miss it. but i'm planning on traveling to SD maybe on tuesday or wednesday, just to spend some time there - with my family. so pray that i'll have a way of getting to SD, and that i'll have a chance to see my brother. there are some things i need to talk to him about.

2.) my cousin, angela, is having heart surgery also on thursday in omaha, NE. her valves are gonna be replaced. so you can pray for her and her family as they go thru this operation. (angela is a cousin on my mom's side, and it's my dad's mom that passed away - so both sides of my family have big events on thursday.)

how do i feel? right now i'm really looking forward to returning to the States. this beautiful adventure has been really hard, yet so incredibly rewarding! my life has been impacted by the people of tanzania and others from around the world. the Lord had graced me in more ways than i could've ever imagined. and i'm content not being at my grandma's funeral - before i came here, we had our good-byes. i'm sorry that i'm not around to give my parents, especially my dad, a hug. but soon i'm be there to do that also. my heart breaks knowing that when i said good-bye to my fellow classmates, that was a 'good-bye forever', not 'see you later.' i know there are couple whom i will meet again, and, my friend, japheth, made saying 'good-bye' super hard! he and i have been close friends through this whole 5 months. but he's one of those friends that i trust we will meet again - either in switzerland, kenya, tanzania, usa or somewhere else here on the earth. (and, yes, i cried when i said good-bye to them.)

how do i feel about returning early? good. i feel good about it. i'm ready to return to a hot shower, french silk pie, hamburgers, mashed potatoes, potato salad, friends and family and my job. and i don't feel that i will regret leaving 3 weeks early. i wanted to visit Flora, Miriam and Furaha, (all Compassion kids) but another time shall come.

hang tight, my friends, i shall see you soon!

ps. i forgot something when i updated this post. yesterday we had a pretty strong earthquake while i was packing my bag. it was really exciting. i was sitting on the floor and thought - 'hmm.... i wonder why the floor is moving?'... then i realized what it was.

2 comments:

TonyB said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with your family.

Kevin Gantz said...

We are all so excited that you are returning! We will pray for your family and trust that you will have safe travels home.