So It's Time for Outreach

the time has come for us to head out into the bush. so on saturday we leave for outreach. i have so many mixed feelings about it right now. most of the time i'm really looking for it, but there are moments when i'm freaked about not having clean water, having to shower in the river and meeting people who are demon possessed. oh, and not having my computer for communication with america is another part of my hesitation.

so we are expected to have all our belongings packed and ready to go tomorrow (friday) at 10 am. all our belongings which are staying at the base need to be packed also, which includes my computer and extra clothes and electronics. that's a whole day before we leave. i was hoping to catch up on all my updates tomorrow since we have the entire day off, but for some reason we've been asked to have everything packed and ready to go.

so what do i say in this post - something meaning and witty, something worthwhile for those who continue to check back to this blog even when there are no updates for 3 weeks? right now i feel numb and my thoughts seem so meaningless. my heart is calm and i'm simply ready for some thing new and different.

my friend, firimina, taught me 2 card games this evening. one involved being slapped on the wrist when you lose, and the other has so many rules that i could barely follow. the latter game is going to be great when i figure out thw counting, but africans seem to not use the same method as american. 7 are worth more than kings, and queens are the highest. that's about all that i've learned so far. by the end of outreach, i'll have this game down.

i'm loving the jolly ranchers and peanut butter filled crackers from america. i shared some of the candies and goodies with the kids from the orphanage this afternoon. i had been given some plastic easter eggs, so i filled them with some of the candies and crackers. the kids thought that was so great!

i can hear my roommates praying... but then again, most of the base can hear them praying. praying is loud and boisterous here at this base. there's not such a thing as praying to yourself. prayers have impact, emotion, and passion. when we pray, people in the next county know it's the crazy people from that compound. :) i have to laugh when people call this place a compound, but that truly what it is.

now i'm simply rambling just so i don't have to go to bed or pack. it's now 11.13 pm on thursday evening.

so my prayer requests: that people receive us and accept the Good News
for unity in our group - to drop our pride and display humility
for safety and good health
and for me specifically, to be able to communicate and continue to learn swahili. i'm still feeling quite separated because of the language barrier, so going 3 weeks without much spoke word may be a challenge for me.

why am i procrasting saying 'good-bye'? this is a question running thru my head. it's just a silly blog. but i'm struggling to tie up the loose ends and finish. guess i just need to let go and close this post. so, until next time: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. {rom. 15.13}

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great experience, and can't wait to hear from you when you get back! Enjoy the soft tp!!
-Val

Kevin Gantz said...

Thanks for your words! I continue to think of you often. How amazing is it that your act (going out on mission) should have such impact on our daily lives here!

All of the sudden, "three weeks" has become an important theme. You are heading out into the bush for 3 weeks and I have only 3 weeks before I head out into the "bush" that is YoungLife Frontier Ranch. I know that there is no comparison, but there are many similarities.

I was just doing a little reading this morning and (oddly enough) came across a passage where Daniel prayed for "three whole weeks" (Daniel 10:1-21). It is my goal to pray for the three weeks leading up to my adventure at camp. I will also be in prayer this three weeks for you so that the "gift of tongues" will be given to you - that you may learn the local language, and through the Spirit, your words will be transformed in The Word to the people God has sent you to witness to.

Please also be in prayer for me and our team as we travel with kids from Cherokee and Pickens on our trip to Colorado.

In Christ We Pray,

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for your health and safety. Along with the prayer for God to be seen through you and your team. You are amazing. God Bless.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you to get back. Oh the stories you will have!! I hope you are having a wonderful, enlightening experience. I have a great story to tell you about Khat when you get back online! (a little should be in your email box)
-Val